Excursions and attractions in the Sciliar area
The churches and chapels in the holiday region Alpe di Siusi testify to the religious tradition and the rural culture of its inhabitants. Apart from the parish churches in Castelrotto, Siusi, Alpe di Siusi and Fiè you can still find many other small churches and chapels.
Here we would like to introduce some cultural highlights:
The Church in San Vigilio from the year 1353 –romantic and remotely located in a wooded canyon. The triptych is a real eye opener!
The Alpe di Siusi is also home to many historical monuments. Here are a few castles, fortresses and ruins:
- The ruin Hauenstein – the castle of the famous troubadour Oswald von Wolkenstein
- The mystical ruin Salegg near the village of Siusi
- Impressive – the Castle of Presule close to Fiè allo Sciliar
- Powerful – the Castle Trostburg guards the entrance to the Val Gardena.
In the many museums in the area, you can discover the history of South Tyrol:
- The old mill Malenger in San Vigilio – just 10 minutes walk from the farm Örtlhof.
- Martha’s Herb Garden close to San Osvaldo – 20-30 minutes’ walk.
- The Farmer’s Museum at the farm Tschötscherhof – 1 hour walk for a great destination!
- The School Museum in Tagusa.
- The Parish Museum in Fiè allo Sciliar.
Other museums and culturally interesting destinations close by:
- In Bolzano you’ll find the South Tyrolean Archaeological Museum, the City Museum, the Museion, the Museum of Nature and the Mercantile Museum.
- Experience the splendid gardens of Castle Trautmannsdorf in Merano.
- The small town of Chiusa and culture city of Bressanone.